Monday, July 6, 2015

Opening with an Enneagram


I really like the direction this new class is going right off the bat. I always look forward to kind of gauging the direction class discussions will go in each new class and how the new instructor and their knowledge will add to my experience. I really feel that the subject matter in this particular course is what I was looking for to better analyse and improve my organizational leadership skills. I really feel like I am a fairly good leader. People trust me easily with a lot of responsibility and I am encourage people to buy in to what I am saying most of the time whether it be students, faculty or even administrators. The activity with the Enneagram was quite a trip. I really do buy into the stuff that comes out of those types of quizzes and I feel like it tells a lot about a person. However, I feel that people unknowingly make assumptions about people through these things that can eventually counteract what really happens. It made me really reflective. It reminded me of college where I had a great time I was a very well known and liked person who did quite a bit. I was known to be a person who was very positive and was very friendly and usually could make anyone smile. However, in the same light I wasn't always taken seriously but colleagues who didn't know me well. They thought of me only as that jovial pleasant person who will definitely make people happy in his life but occupational success was still up in the air. Little did they know I worked my tail off and graduated at the top of my class ultimately culminating in getting one of the better jobs of the entire music ed graduating class.  I also was able to cultivate a completely new and positive culture within the entire district about Instrumental education and developed a rapidly growing successful program. To tie this back into the Enneagram test, I feel that most if not all people have a predetermined notion of what a leader looks like and it is usually someone who is on the domineering side and fairly forward in their delivery. As the discussions went on I really started analyzing myself for who i really am and for a few moments there questioned “should I be changing my outlooks and reactions” and after a very contemplative ride home I realized with full force the reason that I even thought about getting this degree was because multiple people shared that they think I would make a strong administrator. After about a year of deliberation a decided to do it and I am happy I did. The one thing i do regret was not asking them “why?” Why do you think I would make a good teacher leader and building representative? What skill set do you see that I you think I have? I will be honest, I do know that I am good at playing ‘the game’ because I am legitimately genuine and perpetually think of student growth. But I wish I asked that question. I also wish I asked them What skills do I need to improve on to be ready to be an administrator. Obviously most of my practical learning will be done through experience and the class but there are personal skill I need to improve upon that they could coach me in and my goal within the next two weeks is to ask them those questions. I had a very lengthy conversations with some administrators about this particular subject and all I really got out of it about me was that they think very highly of me, I am very student centered and I have the power to help a lot of students but that is not enough. I want to know what they saw on a deep level and what skills they see I need to improve on. I didn't become a band teacher to be a mediocre one and I won't become an administrator to be a mediocre one.

No comments:

Post a Comment