Monday, July 6, 2015

Yes Man to Practical Man


One thing that really stood out to me in day one was the “real world scenario” portion of class.  It is almost like a puzzle to me with no right answer.  I feel like that because of my situation and running my own program, I am able to think a little bit like an administrator more than others. However, you really don’t get to encounter those real life situations where the decision and its consequences are completely reliant on you. That's why I take that l section of class so seriously. With in the teacher's realm of decision making I feel like I can make appropriate decisions in a timely matter but seeing all that goes into those decisions, there is really not a whole lot of responsibility that comes with them.  With in the recent contract negotiations I have been asked multiple times why our administrators get paid so much more and i have always clarified to them that they are paid in accordance with how much risk they are responsible for. I  have also been able to grow a great relationship with my superintendent and I was able to ask him how he would answer that question. He is only two years from retirement and truly respect the wisdom and knowledge he has gained over the years. He essentially said that same thing. People just don't understand the risk that is involved and I very glad that PJ’s one goal is focused solely on changing our outlook on situations and seeing them in the light of an administrator. I feel that ever since this cohort has started I have looked at teaching and my generally relations with my colleagues in a different manner. I definitely played a different role in the school before joining and before contract negotiations. I have because I much different person and have a much different outlook on my professional life and the world around me. I used to one of those people who would do anything for anyone if they asked. I felt that this was the best way to get “in” with everyone. The good news is that it really seemed to work! I couldn't say no! I was gaining tons and tons of great connections, support, and learning a ton however it came with a great cost to my personal life. I lived at the school! I know because I don't have kids or a family most people say I really don't know what hard work is but i really know i could put my work up against almost anyone's. I really do respect those who have a family because I know when I do, that will be my life and I am looking forward to it. I feel that I just replaced work as my family development plan. Again i am very proud of the work that has been done and the footprint that I have left this far however within this last year I have really learned to take a step back and looking at how everything really affects me as a professional and as a person. I have pulled back and I would not consider myself a “Yes” man. I would argue that everything I said yes to in the past 5 years has improved me or my program however that level of impact with some occurrences does not meet the level of effort and time put into them. In turn, this has influenced me to analyze all opportunities I come across to see how positively they affect me professionally or personally and the input to output ratio. At first this felt like I was being rather self centered (especially being the 2 that I am) but over time I have realized that my goal is efficiency. I need to become a more efficient person for myself. This will also make me more productive for the students which is my ultimate goal. If I am spending time on things that aren't helping me achieve at the highest level or aren't helping me get their, that is an issue. That's why I would like to think that I am fading out of the number 2 area into a more practical version of myself. I feel that this is the class that I have been looking for and I will be doing my best to pick the brains of my respected administrators around me as well as our instructor as to how to do that and create a plan for success that will work for my style of leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment